Let’s face it, everyone has to battle pre-interview nerves, even the most experienced professionals. However, when you prepare correctly by conducting thorough research, rehearsing your responses with a friend, and focusing on a positive mindset, you will feel much more confident. The 4 tips below will guide you through the process as you prepare for your next interview.
1. Research the Company and the Role
First, it’s important to do your homework by thoroughly researching the company and the role. Always remember to:
- Check out the company’s website, as well as their social media platforms, to get a better understanding of what the company culture is like.
- Review the company’s mission and goals.
- Research past company accolades to truly showcase your interest during the interview.
- Carefully read through the job requirements so that you can better articulate how your skills and past work experiences make you a perfect fit for the role.
2. Plan and Rehearse your Responses
Although there is no way of knowing what an interviewer may ask you, it’s paramount to create a list of potential interview questions so that you can plan out how you will respond. Rehearsing responses to common questions with a friend will help you feel much more confident and prepared during the interview.
Review the checklist below as you prepare your responses:
- Check out the company on Glassdoor or Indeed to see if any interview questions are listed from others who have recently interviewed with the company.
- Research interview questions that are commonly asked in the industry. For example, if you are interviewing in the Information Technology field, be prepared to respond to technical questions that will reveal your knowledge and problem solving techniques.
- Research interview questions that are commonly asked. Refer to the sample questions listed on The Muse’s website.
3. Carefully Prepare a List of Questions
After researching the company, the role, and planning out responses to potential interview questions, it’s time to prepare a list of well thought-out questions that will truly demonstrate your interest in the company and the job opening.
Here are a few sample questions that you may want to ask the interviewer:
- What would a typical day look like for someone in this role?
- Could you explain what the training process is like?
- What are the most important things that you would like to see someone in this role accomplish in the first few months on the job?
- What does success look like in this position?
- How long have you been with the company? What is your favorite part about working here?
- What’s the company and team culture like?
- What is your favorite office tradition?
- What are the next steps in the interview process?
4. Go Into the Interview with a Positive Mindset
Last, but certainly not least, it’s critical to go into each interview with a positive and relaxed mindset. Always remind yourself that the hiring manager is eager to fill the role and reached out to you for a reason.
When the day of the scheduled interview arrives, review your notes one last time, dress your best so that you look professional and feel confident, and think positively.
To learn more about best interview practices, check out some of the other articles that we recently published to our website and LinkedIn page. We also encourage you to review our list of client openings here.
Putting people to work is what we do, providing interview tips and exceptional career opportunities is just part of how we do it. Together we can, go Comrise!